How do I choose my pet care provider? There are so many options out there now from your friends, online providers like Wag and Rover to professional in-home pet sitting companies.
With all these options it’s no wonder you have a hard time deciding what’s the best for your four-legged family members! We want to help break down each of your options to help you choose the best decision for your family.
Neighbor or Family Friend
The neighbor or family friend can be an option for your pet care. There can be some pros and cons to this arrangement.
- You are having someone you know, and trust come into your home. Typically, your friend or neighbor knows you and your pet well.
- Usually the cost is small to have them care for your pets.
- It’s not their daily job so they may be inconsistent with care due to a schedule conflict. At times just putting down food and leaving not giving your pet quality time.
- If an emergency comes up and they can’t care for your pet is there a backup?
If you go this route a few things you want to keep in mind are to make sure they know your schedule and can care for your pets on all those days and always have a backup plan just in case something happens, and they cannot provide care.
There are several online providers out there to choose from. There are some pros and cons to this arrangement as well.
- They can be convenient with a click of a button you can schedule your new pet care provider without having to leave your couch.
- There are multiple options out there, so you have an abundance of people to choose from.
- Online providers aren’t companies they’re online platforms where individuals can sign up for a profile advertising pet care.
- Some do not require a meet and greet prior to services not giving you a chance to meet them and make sure they’re a good fit for you and your family.
When going with an online provider you need to check the provider’s insurance to see where you and your pet are covered. You will want to check references of the provider and insist on a meet and greet as well prior to the start of services. You also want to make sure that you have backupup plan just in case something happens, and the provider cannot make it to your pets. Asking for references is always a good idea too!
Professional Pet Sitting Companies
There are several professional pet sitting companies out there to choose from. As with your other options, there can be some pros and cons to this arrangement.
- They can be a little more expensive compared to other options.
- Some companies will not visit with certain breeds or types of pets.
- Most professional companies use online scheduling software making it convenient for you to schedule services and communicate with them as well.
- Pet sitting companies should be covered under insurance, bonding and employees should be covered under workers compensation.
- Most pet sitting companies require a meet and greet prior to setting up services.
When going through a professional pet sitting company ask if they are insured and bonded. You may also want to ask what sort of training the pet care provider has and what sort of back up plan they have in place should something prevent them from coming to care for your pets.
What Can You Do As The Pet Parent?
When searching for a pet care provider you want to do your due diligence. Check to see what the provider’s background is and ask for references and reviews. Make sure they have insurance and bonding, and if they have employees see if they have any extra training like pet CPR and first aid certification. If something happens do they have a backup plan? You don’t want to get a call while away on vacation that your pet care provider isn’t going to make it and you’re scrambling last minute to find someone to care for your pets. In the end its up to you to know what is best for you and your four-legged family members.
How Can Play Time Pet Care Help You?
At Play Time Pet Care we are insured and bonded by Business Insurers of the Carolinas. Each of our sitters go through training before they care for your pets and they are pet CPR and first aid certified through Pro Pet Hero. We provide a free meet and greet prior to services giving you and your pets a chance to meet your primary sitter and answer any additional questions you may have. We use an online scheduling system, so we are always just a click away! We have a backup plan in place just in case your primary sitter cannot make it to a visit so your pets will always be cared for. At the end of each visit, you will receive a journal update with photos of your pets and how their visit went. We take our job very seriously and want nothing but the best for you and your four-legged family members.